Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tough Lesson On Aging...

When we move out of our thirties and into our forties, there are some obvious changes that occur within.  I noticed around forty-one, that I wasn't able to do as much heavy lifting as I used to in years past.  Well, I could still lift heavy things, but I would pay the price that same night or the next morning with a sore shoulder and elbow.  For instance, as a strong, capable, independent woman, I always prided myself on being able to lift heavy grocery bags (we're talking 2-3 heavy bags in each arm) from the cart to my car, from my car up the stairs and into my house.  And whenever a male friend or neighbor would offer their help, I would politely decline their offer.  Feeling physically strong and capable has always been extremely important to me - an essential component to my well being, if you will.  Ever since my early teen years,  I enjoyed taking up aerobics, walking, biking, bowling, and strength training with my brother's weights (when he wasn't around).  I even played in a women's softball league in my mid twenties. While my activities have slowed down over the past decade...some months they've even grinded to a halt due to a continual struggle with a low vitamin D count. There were literally some days when I had a hard time just getting up from a chair and walking into the next room due to the intense pain in my joints. I felt like I was an 80 year old woman (no offense).  But, by the grace of God, I forced myself to go to work everyday and maintained a close to normal lifestyle during that time. Not too long ago, I finished another 50,000 IU vitamin D regimen and I'm now taking 2000-4000 IU's of vitamin D everyday.  Even though my body is allowing me to function at a much better level than before, my resent blood tests determined that my count is still low. I'm grateful that my joints are holding up pretty well with little to no pain most days.  But, my arthritic left knee has put me in and out of physical therapy for the past few months. 



Another fun fact about aging as we reach midlife is that our metabolism seems to slow down.  Even though some people say that it doesn't really slow with age, our muscle mass actually tends to decrease as we get older and our fat tends to inevitably increase. Well, as a woman, I feel that my metabolism has slowed down as I've gotten older. Of course, I'm not as active as I used to be, but I'm working on changing that at present with the help of my good friend Beth. I'm proud to say that she has maintained a healthy lifestyle for over a decade after losing over 100 lbs. on her own. I tend to view her as a fitness fanatic. It sounds like a negative thing, but she is one of those rare persons who gets a natural high from daily burn workouts, juicing, and taking herbal supplements. I love the fact that she is always moving forward seeking out the next physically challenging workout routine to take her to a higher fitness level. 

Let's face it, we all need to feel strong, capable, and healthy, am I right?  If we are lacking one of those three important attributes, we may start to feel a lack of control in our own lives, which can be quite scary.  One thing that is finally starting to sink in for me is that I can still become healthier and even reverse some of the changes that have gone on within my own body.  Anything is possible if you believe.  (It also comes from a deeper and growing faith I have in my higher power - which for me is God). I know that it sounds like a cliche, but it is actually true.  Do some research and you'll find that there is proof in both the scientific and spiritual realms that our mind and body connection is a powerful force.  A force that can be used to heal us and also to bring us to our knees.  So, it is essential for us to 'take captive every thought' and retrain our minds to focus in the moment on the positive.  Since I've been on this path, I've experienced this first hand and you can too.


No comments:

Post a Comment