Wednesday, June 29, 2016


Learning Not To React To Your Thoughts

Since I decided to 'blog' about my journey towards becoming a more healthy and balanced individual, it has helped me stay focused in the present moment for the most part.  And living each day in the present is key to staying centered and focused on what's important.  Let's face it, when you have been letting yourself get distracted by the constant thoughts that pop up in your mind over the course of the day, it's hard to turn that chatter completely off.  It takes quite a bit of practice when you haven't done it in so long. There are so many things to think about everyday. We have constant ideas, visions, fantasies, concerns, and worries among other things that our minds have to sort out.  Not to mention having to fend off negative thoughts that can be down right abusive to us at times.  When I wake in the morning during the work week, I have to think about how long it will take me to make breakfast, workout, shower, style my hair, dress, and leave out the door.  Those are the kind of thoughts that are normal during the course of the day.  They help us navigate our time and guide our decision making.  But, I'm talking about the thoughts that tend to slither into our psychie, unannounced and unwanted, just like a goa'uld. Those of you who are familiar with the Sci-Fi series Stargate SG-1 will know what I'm talking about. So, what can we do about them? 

Right now, I'm dealing with getting frustrated too quickly when I have to deal with the sweltering heat and humidity that is taking place in Philly right now. I don't like to sweat. In fact, I hate to sweat! I shouldn't have to sweat like this...blah, blah, blah. That is the chatter that goes on in my mind until I finally get myself all worked up and start to get agitated and frustrated with everything, especially with the heat. That is when I have to just quiet myself and just watch those negative thoughts pop up without any judgment. I need to just 'be.' Yes, sweat might just be dripping down my face from my forehead and my hair on the back of my neck might be getting a little too damp (and is ruining my awesome hairdo) but it is my body's built in air conditioning mechanism that is kicking in and saving me from having a possible heat stroke. Breath in, breath out...ahhh. So, the next time you are experiencing unwanted negative thoughts, don't continue into all that negativity.  Just acknowledge that they are there without judgment and let them dissipate on their own. 




3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with multiple thoughts running around in my head the stress and worries that will not go away.By worrying about them or stressing but we are human and do such things,so I agree the first step is to accept who you are,what is happening in your life and focus on that taking baby steps to getting back to what we were when we were younger is the main goal,then take it from there one step at a time and having someone who understands you is a big help. I know we have days that are bad but get back on our feet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to check out my blog. You're right, we are all human and as such we all fall prey to all types of stress and anxiety in our lives. Some of us are more susceptible to experiencing higher degrees of stress than others. In order for us to regulate our emotions in a healthy way, we have to first acknowledge whatever emotions we are experiencing at the time and never suppress them. I'm not saying that it will be easy. The worst thing we can do to ourselves, is to bury our emotions deep inside of us because they will eventually surface somewhere down the line if they are not dealt with properly. I will share more on this topic in my next blog post, so stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. Well being let go of my second job is upsetting and joyful at the same time. I will take this opportunity to focus more time on me and my family. I will not let the stress of financial difficulity get to me. I am pretty sure I will have a roof over my head and food so just have to adjust. So not going to key this bring me down taking one step at a time

    ReplyDelete