Tuesday, July 5, 2016




We All Have Days Like This...

 Today was a pretty good day all together.  Woke up earlier than usual and did a 10 minute workout on my stationary cycle, while working out my arms with a resistance band - which really ups the cardio workout. I'm really starting to get this morning routine down. And coming from a night owl who used to dread getting up out of bed in the morning is really saying something. 

 My work day seemed to go pretty smoothly as well. No problems to report, no fires to put out today... However, on the ride home some invasive thoughts began to manifest themselves into my conscious mind. The thoughts themselves weren't bad, but they brought some 'bad feelings' with them. Thoughts that made me feel a bit lonely as a single woman.  Then the old thoughts of how to handle the bad feelings came popping up, 'stop on the way home and buy some kind of cake and maybe some chips too.'  Oh, that will make me feel better, yeah sure. But, oh yes, I did listen to them and I stopped at the local drug store and bought a small box of snack cakes and a large bag of chips. All the while, I knew I was in the wrong. I knew if I ate even a portion of them, I would be sabotaging my fitness goals. I also knew that once I put them in my mouth, regret would soon follow. And that is what exactly happened. But something else happened at the same time. I realized in the same moment that I really didn't need or even want to eat that junk food. In fact, I started to feel sick from eating that crap. Not because I ate too much of it, but because I've been training my mind/body to enjoy eating healthy proteins, fruits and vegetables for quite a while now. In fact, the foods that I thought I loved since I was a child and couldn't live without (cakes, cookies, chocolate, candies etc...) I'm starting to see as being toxic to my body. And I need to keep thinking that way about them.  


Once I acknowledged to myself that what I was doing was wrong, I immediately threw the rest of the cakes and chips in the trash. And I felt empowered once again! Then I jumped onto my stationary cycle and 'rode' for 40 minutes and burned all of those extra calories away. Yes, sweet victory! I also texted my fitness coach and fessed up and of course she was nothing but supportive and encouraging - love you Beth! I'm sure I will make other hasty decisions like this on my weight loss/fitness journey, after all, I'm only human. However, I am grateful that I'm continuing to grow and learning more about myself and tuning in quicker to what triggers me to run to sweets for a comfort fix so I can nip it in the bud before it turns into a bad habit.







No comments:

Post a Comment